The first question to answer here is why go for anonymous email when there are plenty of premium featured and free email services such as Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo! Mail available?
Well, privacy and anonymity is a digital right — our digital right. These email services are ‘free’ because of the advertisements.
Although deemed necessary evils, ads are mostly tailored for the visitor or service user; and to do that, service providers need your data to show you advertisements targeted to you and your user group. These are ads that you are most likely to click and/or follow.
Moreover, the disclosure of the motives of secret agencies and their top-secret internet-censoring programs (such as PRISM) has raised concerns among digital privacy advocates. If you want to keep your emails away from prying eyes, this article will introduce to you the many options for sending and receiving anonymous emails.
Recommended Reading: VPN Protocols: Preserving Your Sensitive Information Online
Anonymous email forms the basic foundation of anonymity over the web. Internet is no secure storage, but you have a say in who has access to your data and who doesn’t. If that is no, anonymous emails is one way to ensure your emails are not traceable online.
Note: Anonymity is not possible on the web without hiding your IP address, so you must use Tor, or any other proxy or VPN service before using the services below to remain anonymous on the Internet.
Encrypted / Anonymous Email Service
Here are some of the anonymous email services that lets you send and receive emails anonymously online. Some of them have encryption features, others are disposable or will self-destruct after a specified period of time. Here are 5.
GuerrilaMail – GuerrillaMail offers you a disposable, self-destructible, temporary email address to send and receive emails anonymously on the internet. Mail is deleted after an hour. You only need to choose an email address; no personal data is required.
Secure Mail – This service encrypts your mail using 4096-bit key, which makes it unreadable by anyone except you. It doesn’t ask for your personal information or IP address to sign up. They also have a zero-tolerance policy against spam.
Send Emails Without Registration
Sometimes you just need to send emails without prior registration. In fact you don’t even need to receive any feedback. If this is you, here are 8 services that is essentially a form where you put in details of the email you want to send. Note that there is no way for the receiver to get back to you.
AnonymousEmail.me – Here you will find only a simple form to fill in the receiver’s address, subject and the email content (you can also attach a file to the email if necessary). To get a reply, opt to provide a reply-to email address, otherwise this is a one-way ticket to sending an anonymous email.
CyberAtlantis – It offers a simple interface to provide the receiver’s email address, subject, and the message. It strips off the IP address from your mail, and thus you can’t be traced easily. It asks for none of your personal information.
W3 Anonymous Remailer – Send anonymous emails to anyone. You only need to enter the receiver’s email address, subject and the message for the email.
Send Anonymous Email – This one operates with a plain interface to enter the sender and receiver’s address, subject and message. No other details are required to send emails with this. The IP addresses are logged in.
Send Email Message – You only need to enter the receiver’s email address, subject, and the message. Over 100,000 anonymous emails are sent every day for free.
AnonEmail – You get to send anonymous emails without revealing any information about your identity.
If you just need a disposable email to confirm links and don’t want to deal with the newsletter or other deals they might send you in the future, try these 7 email services. Accounts are created automatically when a mail is received for that address.
myTrashMail – Get open and public email accounts created upon receiving mail or sign up for a private and password-protected one to receive mail. The accounts are temporary and will be deleted automatically after some time.
Mailinator – Here is one that lets you create email inboxes quickly and even automatically. You can only receive emails with it.
Spambog – Spambog offers you a disposable (7-day purge), temporary, anonymous email inbox on the Web. You can receive, reply and forward emails but not send an original one. An email alias can be protected with a password.
TempInbox – Here’s another temporary, disposable, auto-automated email inbox service. Give any email alias to anyone and check that inbox on the website for your incoming mail.
Do you use any other anonymous email service? Please share with us through comments.
Secure emails are electronic mails that are in encrypted form. People having access to a secret key can only read the emails. There are many secure email sending tools to avoid business risks and to protect of information written in emails. These tools enable you to send and receive messages using secure end-to-end email encryption.
Following is a handpicked list of Free Secure Emails and Top Anonymous/Secure Emails, with their popular features and website links.
Most Secure | Encrypted | Anonymous Email Service Providers
ProtonMail is an email service that provides security through end-to-end encrypted mails. It can be used on any device without installing the software.
- You do not require to enter any personal information to create a secure email account.
- Protonmail follows AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) and RSA Rivest, Shamir, Adleman algorithms
- It has a modern inbox design that helps you to read, organize, and send emails in a better way.
- This email service provider gives 500MB storage space.
- You can send more than 150 emails per day.
Gmail for business is the most intuitive, useful, and efficient emailing application with more than 2 billion active users worldwide. Google Workspace provides a secure and ad-free email experience and offers smart replies. Gmail has advanced grammar and spell-check capabilities. The application It enables you to access Gmail offline by using Google Chroma browser.
- The software enables you to connect with other people via Google Meet and Chat.
- This professional email address works with other software like Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, and Apple Mail.
- It provides nudges that help you to follow up and respond to messages.
- Gmail blocks phishing emails automatically.
- You can view attachments, snooze messages, and open attachments without opening emails.
3) Zoho Mail
Zoho Mail is a secure mail hosting provider that is available for business and personal use. It offers a control panel that enables you to manage groups and add users with ease.
- It enables you to retain emails for specific days.
- This tool enables you to comment, tag, and share a file with ease.
- You can manage your mails from your mobile phones.
- Zoho mail hosting is integrated with Zoho CRM to manage your sales.
- It supports email migration through POP and IMAP.
4) Yahoo Mail
Yahoo Mail is a business email service provider that enables you to sign up with ease. It helps you to manage multiple employees online. This application uses SSL encryption to keep it secure.
- You can easily add new alias or mailboxes, reset passwords, transfer mailboxes, and more.
- Yahoo Mail allows you to customize your inbox by choosing themes.
- Users can search work email by keyword, date, or contact.
- The Yahoo Mail mobile app makes it easy for you to manage your emails while you are traveling.
- Yahoo Mail blocks more than 15 billion spam messages.
Outlook is one of the best business email service provider that includes Exchange Server, Exchange Online, and Office 365. It allows you to access email, shared calendars, and contacts anywhere.
- It protects your confidential information.
- Outlook gives Bcc warning when emails are blind copied.
- This software provides intelligent reminders.
- It helps you to find the needed information quickly.
- Outlook offers keyboard shortcuts for ease of access.
- It allows you to create rules to prioritize and organize emails.
- Outlook has a built-in calendar that enables you to schedule and manage meetings or events.
- You can see contact information when you hover over its name.
- It provides a simple way to find people, and messages, documents in email.
Startmail is a simple email sending service that helps you send encrypted messages to anyone. It is protected by Dutch privacy laws to keep mails safe.
- It provides easy one-click PGP encryption.
- You can send encrypted emails even if your recipient does not use it.
- It offers 10 GB storage.
- Startmail enables you to create temporary emails.
- This online app is compatible with SMTP/IMAP.
- You can get StartMail security for your custom email address.
Hushmail is a secure email service provider. It protects you against unauthorized content analysis, identity theft, etc. This company offers Pretty Good Privacy program to encrypt e-mail.
- It automatically encrypts all data before you leave your device.
- Hushmail supports face ID two-step verification, and touch ID.
- You can compose an email on the web or smartphone.
- This tool enables you to create multiple accounts.
LuxSci provides a secure mail portal. It helps you to control all your emails in all web browsers easily. You can use this website from a smartphone, computer, or tablet.
- It encodes email with SecureLineTM VPN.
- You can send, Receive, and Reply ePHI (Electronic protected health information).
- It provides hosting from Office365 and Google Workspace.
- This email client supports outlook integration and encryption.
- You can get protection against sensitive data and emails.
- It allows you to add HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) to your existing email.
FastMail is an email service offering email accounts for organizations and individuals. It is available in more than 36 languages to customers.
- You can easily manage email, calendars, and contacts from FastMail.
- It enables you to search the required email information without any hassle.
- You can pin (Stick to inbox) messages you like.
- FastMail helps you to share a calendar with other people.
- It enables you to select your VIPs (Virtual Path Identifier).
- You can customize the email address with ease.
- This application enables you to add events to the calendar.
Mailfence is one of the best free secure email service that provides OpenPGP based digital signatures and end-to-end encryption. This free anonymous email account allows you to configure emails using IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) or POPS (Post Office Protocol Secure).
- It is one of the best anonymous email service which is free from ads, trackers, and spams.
- This free secure email service fully supports OpenPGP.
- You can digitally sign emails using this free encrypted email service.
- Mailfence helps you to store all your email attachments safely.
- This free anonymous email account allows users to create groups to share data in a secure way.
- This browser-based application enables you to choose emails to encrypt.
Trustifi is a secure email service provider that enables you to send encrypted mails from Gmail and Outlook.
It protects from malware and ransomware viruses.
- Compatible with HIPAA, GDPR, FSA, and more.
- Enables to know in real time when you receive, open, or read email.
- You can recall, block, change or set expiration for mails that are already sent.
- Provides blacklisting and Whitelisting options.
- Phishing, fraud, Spoo?ng, and detection facility.
Thexyz is a secure email service provider that enables you to send secure add free mails with ease. It helps you to protect your organization with DNS hosting.
- You can restore deleted emails.
- Enables you to export or import contacts as a CSV file.
- You can reset a password via phone number.
- It allows you to send files up to 50MB.
- Thexyz enables you to create unlimited aliases of a real email address.
SecureMac is a cybersecurity software tool that can detect and remove Malware with ease. This application can scan, search and destroy privacy threats. It has multiple scan modes that provide a customized solution to suit your security needs.
- You can perform drag and drop scanning.
- It is up to 5X faster.
- You can free up your hard disk space by removing unwanted files.
- It has easy to use interface that provides you complete control over your malware scan.
- Offers faster detection and protection of your PC.
SecureMyEmail is a service that enables you to safeguard your mail through encryption. It helps you to build a secure contact list that can be easily verify using social networks. This platform enables you to send mails to anyone with a valid email address.
- Can be used for Gmail, Google Workspace, Microsoft 365, Outlook, and Yahoo Mail.
- It enables you to manage your business and personal accounts with ease.
- Provides PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) that can be used for any program and website.
- Offers user friendly dashboard.
- Supported platforms: Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.
Namecheap is a secure and fast email hosting system designed for business and personal needs. It helps you to collaborate with other people with ease. This mail hosting service provider allows you to manage multiple email accounts under one roof.
- Offers HTML signature.
- You will get protection from spam.
- Support of IMAP, SMTP, and POP3.
- Compatible with Windows, Apple, and Android devices.
Tutanota is an online end-to-end encrypted email sending app based in Germany. It is one of the best free secure email that you can use it on any device like mobile apps, email clients, and desktop clients.
- This free anonymous email account provides security through 2FA (Two Factor Authentication).
- You can use this service anytime, anywhere.
- Tutanota is one of the best anonymous email service that offers secure mails without Advertisements.
- This service provider encrypts the subject, body, and all email attachments.
- This free anonymous email account allows you to use an encrypted calendar.
- This free secure email service enables you to see the daily and monthly views in the calendar.
Runbox is one of the best secure email providers for your business. It is one of the best secure Email services which helps you to send mails using encrypted communication. The server of this company enables you to send emails up to 100 MB.
- You can quickly transfer your mails to Runbox.
- This email encryption service provides a complete email domain.
- It is one of the best encrypted email services that provide virus and spam protection.
- You can get 15 GB of email storage space.
- Runbox enables you to access email securely with any client anywhere.
- It allows you to control domain hosting and your email hosting.
Kolabnow that enables you to handle emails quickly and efficiently. It is one of the most secure email providers that helps you to search for any text in email effortlessly. You can use this app from a web browser, laptop, and iPhone and Android devices.
- It provides a readymade email response template.
- You can easily manage the address book.
- Kolabnow helps you to sync contacts using CardDAV or ActiveSync.
- It does not scan data to maintain privacy.
- Contacts can be imported to this app with no hassle.
Criptext offers a secure email service that enables you to control all your email communications. It is one of the best secure email providers that does not store emails on the server.
- Emails are locked with a unique key that is stored on your device.
- It utilizes a signal protocol library to protect your security and privacy.
- You can undo sent mails within one hour.
- Criptext provides real time email tracking facility.
CounterMail is a secure online email service that is designed to provide privacy without any complexity. It is one of the best free encrypted email service that enables you to access your email account anytime and anywhere.
- It offers diskless web servers.
- This tool provides protection from the MITM (Man-in-The-Middle) attack.
- It is compatible with Android mobile phones.
- Countermail supports Windows, Linux, MacOS X, etc.
- You can filter out important emails easily.
- It helps you to manage your password.
21) Librem Mail
Librem Mail is one of the best secure email providers which help users to exchange mail with others in an encrypted format. This private email service ensures that all communication is kept private by using cryptography.
- Librem secure email address allows you to communicate with anybody inside or outside the domain.
- This private email service deletes unencrypted emails automatically after 30 days.
- You can use Librem Mail on any device.
Mailvelope is a browser extension that helps you to send encrypted emails by following OpenPGP encryption standard.
You can control encrypt and decrypt emails into your favorite webmail provider.
- You can encrypt your emails without changing your email provider.
- It helps you to protect your sensitive data.
- It is one of the best secure email providers for free tool that helps you to prevent unauthorized users from reading your emails.
- You can use this free privacy email for Firefox and Chrome.
Mailbox offers secure e-mail inboxes for business. You can use this free encrypted email service to easily remember the email address. It is one of the best free private email providers which is secure, anonymous, and ad-free email service.
- This free encrypted email service provides secure communication threads.
- It supports push notifications (Small messages).
- Mailbox prevents data loss when you close the browser.
- You can generate a download link for large attachments.
- This free anonymous email account helps you to manage more than one inbox from one view.
- You can sync all emails with the Mailbox application.
Scryptmail focuses on email security and user privacy. You can use this private email service on any device which supports Chrome or Firefox browsers. This email client supports HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure).
- Your free private emails and data are encrypted end-to-end with a secret phrase that never leaves your computer.
- It prevents third-party server scripts from tracking usage.
- Emails are encrypted by AES with a random 256-bit key.
- Scryptmail provides an option to choose to send the message in clear text or encrypted text.
- Attachments, blacklists, and folders can also be encrypted.
Vivaldi enables you to manage your email, contacts, and calendar, which are free from ads. It is one of the best free secure email providers that allows you to additionally import mail from another account.
- The inbox does not contain any advertisements.
- You can effectively manage events and contacts.
- It helps you to send or receive emails using PGP keys.
- Vivaldi provides full control of display browser ads.
- You can attach files in emails up to 20MB.
- Vivaldi free private email service helps you to configure email using IMAPs, POP3s, SMTPs.
- It offers an email storage capacity up to 5GB.
Soverin enables you to choose your own personal domain. It is one of the best private email providers that provide a mailbox without any advertising. This email client enables you to store 25GB messages.
- You can manage email, contact, and calendar from the dashboard.
- This email client supports multiple domains.
- You can filter out your emails.
- Soverin enables you to import old messages.
- You can choose more than one mailbox.
Posteo allows users to save complete email, address book, and calendar data in an encrypted way. It enables you to synchronize calendars and address books. This email client has inbuilt spam and virus filter.
- You can encrypt data by just one click.
- It supports two-factor authentication.
- You do not need to enter personal information while sign up.
- Posteo provides personal support.
- You can pay anonymously by cash, PayPal, or bank transfer.
- This encrypted email service enables you to attach files up to 50 MB.
- Configuration of email using POP3 or IMAP is available.
Hornetsecurity is an online security management solution that allows users to manage email. It is one of the best encrypted email providers that enables you to filter out spam messages. The solution helps you to protect emails from ransomware and phishing.
- You can easily encrypt and decrypt emails.
- This app encrypts all messages using PGP, S/MIME (Secure Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions).
- It supports automatic digital signing.
- You can set rules for encryption of email traffic.
- Hornetsecurity enables you to define if the recipient key is not available.
- It automatically updates the latest version of the service.
Proofpoint protects your important emails from email fraud. This app automatically filters spam emails. It is one of the most secure free email service that finds and blocks threats.
- You can classify emails using unique categories.
- This free encrypted email provider maintains email communications in cloud.
- Proofpoint is easy to use an online app for small and medium-sized businesses.
❓ What is an Encrypted Email?
Usually, communication between sending and receiving email servers is in plain text format. Therefore, anyone can easily read their content. Private email account providers encrypt the plaintext messages as soon as they are received, so only you can ever read them. The messages are decrypted only when you log into your email client to check messages.
🏅 What is the difference between Gmail and Secure Email?
Gmail services are not so secured, whereas secure email providers offer an encrypted email service. Gmail messages are in plain text so that anyone can read them. If you use a secure email, only you can read your emails. Gmail can be prone to a data breach; on the other hand, secure emails thwart data breach.
❗ How do Email Encryption Services Work?
Email encryption services mix up the email contents so that it becomes harder to solve. It uses a Public Key that is used to encrypt and decrypt the email message. Both the sender and receiver are assigned a public key in the form of a digital code that helps to encrypt or decrypt a particular email message.
⚡ How to Send an Anonymous Email?
Here is a step by step process on how to send an anonymous email:
- Step 1) Visit any of the Anonymous email provider services from the above-given list
- Step 2) Sign up on the platform and choose a plan
- Step 3) Now, create an email message as your regular email
- Step 4) Add attachments if any
- Step 5) Specify the recipient and send the email
- Step 6) Your email will be secured and encrypted such that hacker, spammers, or even your service provider won’t be able to see your message
👉 What are the Benefits of Email Encryption?
Below are the main benefits of email encryption:
- It helps protect your confidential details like business messages, documents, financial details, etc.
- It provides total privacy for your emails
- Protects you from hackers, spammers, etc. from seeing your email messages
💻 Which are the Best Encrypted and Anonymous Email Services?
Following are some of the best encrypted and anonymous email service providers:
- Zoho Mail
How To Send an Anonymous Email Without Being Traced
What Is an Anonymous Email Account?
It's an email account that protects anonymity to allow you to send emails without them being traced back to you. These accounts don't store any of your information and you typically don't create them with email providers you use in your daily life to avoid compromising your account from accidental negligence.
Who Is the Best Anonymous Email Provider?
Choosing the top anonymous email sender to use is a big task, but we've simplified the steps. Before we discuss our top five service providers that have the capability of sending an unidentified message, we want to make sure you know what features you should be looking for in your anonymous email sender.
- Is there a built-in encryption feature? - Message encryption is not only important for anonymity purposes, but for protecting sensitive information in general from hackers or other unwelcomed eyes. Having the ability to encrypt your message will give you an extra sense of security when sending unidentified mail.
- What will you be using the unidentified email for? - Think about how you want to use your new incognito mail account. Do you want to solely send emails, do you plan on only receiving them, or do you want both features? Many service providers have limitations on ways users can utilize their accounts due to security and performance reasons so decide how you'll use it in the future before setting one up.
- Can you use it to configure messages using IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol)? - If you're wanting to keep track of the emails you send in incognito status then you will need to make sure that you have your mail connected to IMAP. IMAP allows your messages to be saved on your Internet Provider's Server and for you to have access to them on any device you want to view them on. Basically, you won't be tied down to only viewing or sending messages from your computer.
- What kind of privacy features does it have; for example, two-step verification, no ads? - Although many service providers that allow users to send emails anonymously claim to fully protect their identity, we've found that some companies still use ads within their software. Typically, when a company uses ads within their product, they have sold or shared your information to third parties which defeat the purpose of being unidentified. You also want to make sure that the email client keeps your login credentials secure to avoid hackers retrieving any real information you had to provide to the site to get the anonymous account. Two-step verification is one of the best features to provide peace of mind about your information not ending up in the wrong hands.
Now that you know a few things you need to look out for, here are the top 5 email services we recommend using for sending your messages incognito:
- Guerrilla Mail
How to Send Anonymous Emails
You have confidential information to send to a journalist or your office that you don't want to be traced back to you. You're concerned that if your identity is exposed you could be fired, scrutinized, or embarrassed depending on the information you're sending in the message. We're going to show you how to send messages via email that can't be traced back to you to give you the peace of mind you need to confidently share your important message.
- Create a brand new email account using a well-known provider like Outlook, but don't use any of your personal information that can potentially identify you as the owner of the account. This is how to send an anonymous email in Outlook without your identity being compromised. However, keep in mind that although you'll be sending from an account that doesn't include your personal information, your IP address will still be attached to the account which can risk the chance of the message being traced back to you.
- Another option is to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to mask and change the IP address associated with your device. The VPN blocks Google and other third parties from tracking your location to ensure anonymity especially if you use a public server.
- Get a burner email for receiving or sending messages without compromising your identity. These types of emails expire within a certain timespan. However, these disposable addresses can be limited because some only allow you to receive incoming messages while others only allow you to send them.
- Encrypt your messages to secure your outgoing messages so no one can view the information being sent in the email except for the party receiving it.
Knowing how to send an unidentified message can help you keep your identity safe from backlash from colleagues and employer, being a source for a journalist, and for other valid reasons. If you want to have additional security on what types of emails enter your inbox, try using the Clean Email app. This inbox cleaner is designed to block unwanted senders, organize and prevent spam from entering your inbox. The best part is that it never shares, sells, or analyzes your data to keep you safe from pesky third parties.
How to Send an Anonymous Email - FAQs
Can you send an anonymous email?
Yes. You can send an unidentified message through disposable addresses, a secure VPN service, encrypting your message, creating an anonymous email account, etc.
Is sending anonymous email illegal?
Sending a message anonymously isn't illegal as long as you're not using it to break the law. For example, if you're not using your anonymity to spam or breach any digital laws such as the American CAN-SPAM Act, you are not doing anything illegal.
Can you find out who sent an anonymous email?
If the message was sent from a public IP address like a coffee shop, then you won't be able to figure out who sent you the unidentified message. You can find IP tracking tools all over the web.
How to send anonymous email without being traced?
We recommend using a service provider that specializes in anonymous emails or using a VPN. These are the easiest and most secure way to send messages anonymously.
How to send an anonymous email from Gmail?
When you create your Gmail account, make sure you don't use any personal information that will tie back to you. Next, you will need to make sure you have the email connected to a VPN for further security when sending emails you don't want to be traced back to you.
How to create an anonymous email account?
First, pick a service that specifically provides its services for users that want to send or receive messages without their personal identity being associated with the email. Then follow the steps of the provider gives to set up your account and how to hide your email address when sending emails. Here are some of the best options out there: ProtonMail, Hushmail, Tutanota, Mailfence, and Guerrilla Mail.
- Clean Email ›
- How To Send an Anonymous Email Without Being Traced In 2021
How to send an anonymous email
We use email for a lot of things that require anonymity. From love letters to account confirmations – our mailboxes are home to some spicy things indeed!
There's just one issue: emails provide identifiable two-way communication by design. Aside from the sender address, email has a lot more that could identify you. For example, if you look at the full email header, you could find routing information. This might be enough to identify you and cause various problems.
Yet not all is lost! In this article, I'll show you the proper way to send an anonymous email.
How to send an anonymous email without being tracked
Sending private email means hiding your real IP address and using a secure email service provider. Most popular email platforms like Google or Yahoo are excellent in their simplicity and storage but are lacking in the privacy department.
- Pick a secure email provider. ProtonMail is one of the best options
- Register for the service to get your mailbox
- Log into your account
- Enjoy your new, safer email communications!
If you expect to initiate a private conversation via email, there are quite a bit of things that you could do. Keep in mind, that most times, there’s no one fix solution. You’ll get the best combination of privacy and security if you try to combine several methods. Not only this will help you to stay secure when writing private emails but when you’re looking for weak points in your daily browsing.
1. Use an encrypted and anonymous email service
Encrypted email will function just like a regular service with the bonus that end-to-end encryption makes it much safer. Such encryption covers your emails, inbox, and contact list. No one spying on your traffic will be able to read your emails, including even the service provider (in some cases). Different providers offer different features, but ProtonMail, Tutanota, StartMail and Guerilla Mail are guaranteed to be more private than Gmail or Yahoo.
The most anonymous email accounts:
- ProtonMail – the best secure email provider
- Tutanota – the most anonymous email provider
- StartMail – the best easy-to-use email provider
- Guerilla Mail – the best temporary email against spam
2. Use a “burner” email
Similarly to how cheap prepaid phones are used in shows like The Wire and Breaking Bad, burner emails are temporarily used and then disposed of. They either expire after a fixed period or will enable you to send a message without registering an account that could be traced back to you. You can use their temporary “send only” account at AnonymouseMail.
Burner emails can help you to fight spam when registering on shady websites. The only drawback is that it can be very tricky to reset your account registered on a burner email in cases when you forget your password. The best course of action would be to use burner emails when you know that it’s little chance that you’ll need to use it in the future.
3. Hide your IP
Whichever method you choose to send an anonymous email, your IP may still be a liability. To hide your IP address, you should use a no-logs VPN or Tor browser. A VPN will encrypt your connection and route it through an intermediary server, hiding your actual IP address. Tor will pass your connection through several network nodes, making you untraceable. There are even some VPNs that use these technologies in conjunction, like NordVPN’s Onion over VPN.
4. Remove the metadata from the files
If you’re sending a Word document, the metadata in the files could be your giveaway. It can contain your full name and other personal information that you don’t want to share. If it’s just documents that you want to send without being traced, you should take a screenshot and strip any EXIF data from it.
On Windows, there’s also a built-in tool for metadata removal called Document Inspector. This will help you to analyze what you’re including, giving you the ability to strip all the information from a file that you don’t want to be shared.
5. Create a new email account
They easiest way to send emails anonymously is to create a new email account. If you must use services Gmail or Yahoo, you could create an email using false information. Choose a fake name, home address, date of birth, and don’t provide a phone number. Keep in mind, however, that even with these precautions, these services will still track your cyber movements. They are also required to provide this information to law enforcement agencies.
The most anonymous email providers
If you want to send email anonymously, it always boils down to choosing a secure email provider. They can still keep a log with your name, IP, or location, so you need to pick one that will respect your anonymity and will not collect your data.
1. ProtonMail - the best secure email provider
|Free version:||Yes, 500 MB storage|
ProtonMail uses PGP encryption for your emails before they leave your device. It guarantees a no-logs policy, so even if law enforcement came knocking on the provider’s door, they wouldn’t have anything to show them.
Keep in mind that once the email is sent, it won’t encrypt metadata, headers, or subject lines. There is a free and paid plan (from 4.00$ a month) that increases the maximum amount of messages that you can send per day. The only downside is that they will likely ask you to provide a telephone number to confirm your account.
ProtonMail also offers the feature of self-destructing messages. All you need to do is set your preferred expiration time, and, when the time comes, ProtonMail will delete the messages from the recipient’s inbox.
Aside from that, this email service gives you a free VPN, applications for iOS and Android, and an encrypted calendar.
2. Tutanota - the most anonymous email provider
|Free version:||Yes, 1 GB|
|Platforms:||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android|
Tutanota can provide you with end-to-end encryption. If you need, you will be able to send encrypted messages even to non-Tutanota users. The encryption includes not only the inbox, but your contacts as well. You won’t need to provide any identifiable information when registering an account. Plus, it will strip your IP address from your emails. Their code is open source so everyone can examine it.
This secure email service is one of the best options for those who don’t want to spend a fortune - or to spend money at all. That’s because it offers a free version that includes 1 GB of storage. However, this plan supports only one user and has other limits - for example, it stores your emails only for four weeks. For additional features, like setting up encrypted calendars and unlimited email history, you can pay as little as 1.20 EUR a month.
3. StartMail - the best easy-to-use email provider
StartMail is what Gmail could be if their company focused more on privacy rather than how to place ads. Their parent company even runs Startpage, which one of the few privacy-friendly search engines.
Following this example, StartMail is one of the most private email boxes that you could get. It supports burner emails, so you can add barriers to your mailbox. Even if such an email appears in a spam mailing list, you can quickly dispose of it and create another.
Like most privacy-focused email services, StartMail encrypts the messages locally and sends them via HTTPS. There is also PGP support, but your contact will also have to use a matching setup. Otherwise, it won't work.
4. Guerilla Mail - the best temporary email against spam
Guerilla Mail has been a popular anonymous email provider since 2006. It differs from the other secure email providers on this list, as it provides a temporal email address to send and receive email anonymously. You can either create the email address yourself or let Guerilla Mail do it for you if you’re in a hurry. You don’t even need to have an account to send messages, which makes things even more comfortable.
You can use Guerilla Mail when you want to register to a site but are not comfortable with using your real email address. In other words, you can use this email provider as a dumpster for unwanted spam emails, or when you don’t trust the sender.
The best thing about Guerilla Mail is the fact that it’s absolutely free - you just go to their site and use the service. So far, Guerilla has processed more than 13 billion emails - and the number is constantly growing.
Visit Guerilla Mail
Importance of email security and anonymity
Using a standard email provider, in most cases you’ll get a decent service, but your privacy might be at risk. These services generate income from ads, and they need to know your browsing habits to tailor these ads for you. Plus, email metadata will expose your private IP address to anyone willing to look at the X-Originating-IP or Original-IP lines. This will enable hackers (or the receiver) to find your city, state, ZIP code, internet service provider, and more.
Does Gmail reveal your IP address?
If you use Gmail as a webmail service, your external IP address and hostname will not be leaked. However, if you’ e using Thunderbird, or Outlook client to send Gmail emails using SMTP, then your IP address and hostname will be sent through along with your email. Keep in mind that during police investigation, Gmail would be forced to reveal your IP address and location.
How do you hide your email address when sending an email?
It’s impossible to hide “From” addresses when sending emails. However, you can use a fake address to trick someone into thinking that it was someone else. You’ll still have to use a real domain name because non-existing domain names will get caught up in spam filters.
Can you send an anonymous email in Outlook?
By design, Outlook always uses an email account associated with the sender. This means that it’s impossible to indicate other “From” that your used email account. If they don’t match, Outlook will return an error, and it will be impossible to send an email.
Is Gmail anonymous?
Gmail isn’t anonymous because Google tends to collect your data and serve you ads. However, it’s possible to keep some degree of privacy with the Gmail account by using a fake name, location, birth date when registering, and always using a VPN with it.
Can I hide my IP address when sending an email?
You can use a VPN or TOR to hide your originating IP address when sending an email to have it display the proxy server’s IP instead of your actual home IP address. This won’t reveal your IP to the public when sending emails.
What is a burner email account?
A burner email account is a separate email account without important contacts that its user can quickly dispose of after several uses. It has the benefit of not being tied to real user’s names or its other accounts.
Is Outlook more secure than Gmail?
.How to Create Anonymous Email Account without any verification
You will also be interested:
- Remington scope base
- My singing monster app
- Prop 215 land for sale
- Toy hauler raptor
- Chrome rdc
- Misaka mikoto
- Spring tx sheriff department
- 98 million dollar apartment nyc
- Zillow com billings montana
- Best income fund
- Bennington vt weather
- Purolator air filters catalogue
- Pra testing in dogs cost