About the Campuses
Group study in the Douglass Library
■ Expansive green lawns, tree-lined paths, and Georgian Colonial architecture give the Douglass Campus its quiet charm. It is a campus with deep traditions that focus on supporting women’s success and addressing pressing global humanitarian issues.
The campus is home to Douglass Residential College, a challenging and supportive collegiate environment for young women interested in fostering their leadership skills. It is also where you will find many academic departments in the School of Arts and Sciences and the Mason Gross School of the Arts, the nationally prominent Eagleton Institute of Politics, the Institute for Women’s Leadership, Nicholas Music Center, and Levin Theater.
Douglass Quick Facts
• 1,720 student residents
• 45 academic buildings
• 5 libraries
• 29 residence halls
• 48 student lounges
• 1 performing arts complex
A marine and coastal lab, G.H. Cook Campus
George H. Cook Campus
■ With 142 acres of woods and lawns, the George H. Cook Campus is known for its wide-open green spaces, the most famous being the lawn at Passion Puddle. The campus is home to the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, which has its own faculty, state-of-the art laboratories, and a research farm. The school is a premier research center for studying the sciences, technology, business, the environment, and food, nutrition, and health.
The George H. Cook Campus is a vibrant academic oasis with abundant opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved in exploring the world around them. Through hands-on research on campus, internships with partners in industry, and growing study abroad opportunities, students learn to solve problems facing the world today. Our programs prepare students for professional schools (medical, dental, veterinary medicine, and law), graduate study, industry, business, and health-related fields.
George H. Cook Quick Facts
• 2,034 student residents
• 83 academic buildings
• 2 libraries
• 25 residence halls
• 26 student lounges
• 1 livestock farm
• 1 display garden
Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences
Constituent school within Rutgers
The School of Environmental and Biological Sciences (SEBS) is a constituent school within Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey's flagship New Brunswick-Piscataway campus. Formerly known as Cook College—which was named for George Hammell Cook, a professor at Rutgers in the 19th Century—it was founded as the Rutgers Scientific School and later College of Agriculture after Rutgers was named New Jersey's land-grant college under the Morrill Act of 1862. Today, unlike the other arts and sciences schools at Rutgers, the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences specializes in environmental science, animal science and other life sciences. Although physically attached to the New Brunswick-Piscataway campus, most of the SEBS campus lies in North Brunswick, New Jersey.
The School of Environmental and Biological Sciences is also home to the New Jersey Agriculture Experiment Station and the Rutgers Gardens, a 50-acre (200,000 m2) botanical garden.
Cook campus is crossed by the Westons Mill Pond section of the scenic Lawrence Brook, which flows along Rutgers vegetable research farm, Rutgers equine research farm, Rutgers Gardens and Rutgers Helyar's woods.
A continuing professional education unit that provides professional education and training for environmental related program areas sits on the edge of Cook Campus and is part of the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station Office of Continuing Professional Education.
Originally called New Jersey College of Agriculture, the name was changed in 1965 to the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences and was again changed in 1975 to Cook College. It was also at this time that Cook College became residential with the building of the Newell Apartments. In 2007 it was again renamed as the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences as part of a larger reorganization of the university.
Martin Hall on Cook Campus was the location of Nobel Prize winner Selman Waksman's research in soil microbes. It was here that Waksman and his colleagues are credited with isolating several antibiotics most notably streptomycin which was used successfully against diseases such as tuberculosis.
Campus and student life
- Perry Hall (Freshman Residence Hall)
- Voorhees Hall (Freshman Residence Hall)
- Nicholas Hall (Freshman Residence Hall)
- Newell Apts. (On-campus apartments for non-freshmen)
- Starkey Apts. (On-campus apartments for non-freshmen)
- Helyar House (Cooperative Living)
SEBS Governing Council
The SEBS Governing Council (SGC) currently serves as the student government for the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. The council is composed of student representatives from every major, a number proportionate to the number of students in that major, as well as Class Representatives, University Senators and RUSA Representatives.
The council was established as the Cook College Council (CCC) in 1974, and was later renamed the SEBS-Cook Council (SCC) in 2006 with the renaming of the school. Beginning with 2010-2011 academic year, Rutgers University merged all the student councils into an elected Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA), but the professional schools remained separate councils. The SEBS Governing Council fulfills this role.
Recreation Activities Crew
The Recreation Activities Crew (formerly known as Recreation Advisory Council and known as RAC on the Cook Campus) is an organization that is composed of student volunteers and meets weekly. The mission of this group is to get students involved with community events both within Rutgers University and with the city of New Brunswick. They have put together events like Special Friends Day, Price is right, Deal or No Deal, Trivia Bowl and other small events. Special Friends Day is one of the biggest community events that the Recreation Advisory Council hosts. Volunteers set up the Cook/Douglass Recreation Center into a themed place. Their parents get a day off from taking care of them and allows them to spend some alone time. Also the students that volunteer get a unique and special experience that will last a lifetime. Each year, the theme is different. The most recent theme (March, 2009) was Board Games. Each year, hundreds of hours of student time are poured into creating this one special day. The Special Friends Day past themes include—2008: Disney: 2007; Heroes.
Agricultural Field Day
Rutgers Agricultural Field Day is a farm-oriented event held at Rutgers University's Cook Campus in New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States, on the last Saturday of April. The event includes 4-H animal fairs, farm tours, plant sales, and department-specific exhibits such as the entomology department's cockroach races. The event is also known for BBQs and student parties, at which attendance peaked well over 20,000 people. It—and the New Jersey Folk Festival on the adjoining Douglass campus—still attract over 10,000 people annually.
Started in 1906, "Ag Field Day" began as a way for farmers to learn about the NJ Agricultural Experiment Station's studies. It expanded to lectures, demonstrations and tours in 1917, and was later embraced by students as a party focal-point. By the mid-90s, university administration scaled back the evening party atmosphere to decrease attendance by non-students and curb underage drinking. The event's daytime activities continue unabated, and are open to all.
Since 2009, Ag Field Day has been coincident with the university-wide Rutgers Day.
Notes and references
Coordinates: 40°29′00″N74°26′14″W / 40.48327°N 74.43728°W / 40.48327; -74.43728
<p>The <b>School of Environmental and Biological Sciences</b> is a constituent school within <a href="/pages/w/592992667461100">Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey</a>'s flagship <a href="/pages/w/108188925868598">New Brunswick</a>-<a href="/pages/w/108271735873202">Piscataway</a> campus. Formerly known as <b>Cook College</b>—which was named for <a href="/pages/w/133498283356395">George Hammell Cook</a>, a professor at Rutgers in the 19th Century—it was founded as the <b>Rutgers Scientific School</b> and later <b>College of Agriculture</b> after Rutgers was named New Jersey's <a href="/pages/w/107134295988484">land-grant college</a> under the <a href="/pages/w/129174573790961">Morrill Act of 1862</a>. Today, unlike the other arts and sciences schools at Rutgers, the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences specializes in <a href="/pages/w/105549086146674">environmental science</a>, <a href="/pages/w/109545825738836">animal science</a> and other life sciences. Although physically attached to the New Brunswick-Piscataway campus, most of the SEBS campus lies in <a href="/pages/w/105807299459883">North Brunswick, New Jersey</a>.</p><p>The School of Environmental and Biological Sciences is also home to the <i>New Jersey Museum of Agriculture</i>, the <i>New Jersey Agriculture Experiment Station</i> and the <a href="/pages/w/109071522444601">Rutgers Gardens</a>, a 50acre <a href="/pages/w/106221946076389">botanical garden</a>.</p><p>Cook campus is crossed by the <a href="/pages/w/133326413376609">Westons Mill Pond</a> section of the scenic <a href="/pages/w/115836561797220">Lawrence Brook</a>, which flows along Rutgers vegetable research farm, Rutgers equine research farm, <a href="/pages/w/109071522444601">Rutgers Gardens</a> and Rutgers Helyar's woods.</p>
Cook College Timeline
1766 – A Royal Charter Issued for Queen’s College now Rutgers.
1825 - Named Rutgers College after Col. Henry Rutgers.
1862 - Morrill Act passed -- provided grants of federal lands to states and territories agreeing to establish a public institution for teaching of agriculture and mechanical arts.
1864 - Rutgers College named land-grant college with departments in agriculture, engineering, and chemistry. Rutgers was in competition with Princeton and state Normal School at Trenton. George H. Cook led the fight to have Rutgers named as the land-grant college.
- George H. Cook promoted to state geologist.
- New name given to the land-grant college -- Rutgers Scientific School.
- Rutgers College bought 98 acres of land just outside New Brunswick for use as an experimental farm.
1880 - State of New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station formed -- Van Nest Hall became the first headquarters of the state experiment station.
1887 - Hatch Act passed -- established federal agricultural
experiment stations at land-grant institutions.
1889 - New Jersey Hall completed, first experiment station laboratory building.
George H. Cook dies.
1906 - Short Course Building completed -- now Waller Hall.
Round House, a stock judging pavilion built near College Pond (now Passion Puddle.) In 1923 it was moved to present location on College Farm Road.
1911 - Jacob Lipman succeeds Dr. Edward B. Voorhees as director of the experiment station.
Lipman becomes first dean of agriculture in 1915, serves until 1939.
1912 - The Cook family farm on Ryders Lane was purchased.
A fireproof horse barn is built on College Farm.
1914 - Smith-Lever Act is passed -- established the Cooperative Extension Service at each land-grant institution.
1914 - Administration Building built -- now Martin Hall.
1917 – New Jersey legislature designates the Rutgers Scientific School, also called the State College of Agriculture, as the State University of New Jersey.
1917- Frank Helyar served as director of short courses until 1929.
1921 - Horticulture Building is finished -- now ‘old Blake Hall.’
Poultry Building built -- now Thompson Hall.
The Trustees formally creates the College of Agriculture and established a board of managers to oversee operations.
1922 - Dairy and Animal Husbandry Building built -- now Bartlett Hall.
32nd National Chapter of Alpha Zeta fraternity was established.
1924 – Rutgers College assumes the name of Rutgers University. The College of Agriculture remains a distinct unit.
1929 - Frank Helyar was made director of resident instruction, served in that capacity until 1953.
1933-35 - Civilian Conservation Camp (CCC) was built and opened on College Farm Road, on the site of the existing Bioresource Engineering Campus. Many of the existing wooden buildings were part of that complex.
1933 - College of Agriculture Acquires Reckitts Blueing Factory, now J.B. Smith Hall, on Georges Road.
- NJAES was incorporated into the New Jersey State University.
- Legislature appropriated funds for Soil Sciences Building, now Lipman Hall.
1936 - The Log Cabin was built by WPA labor (an FDR era welfare program). Plans were brought from Maine by William Martin -- a Maine fishing lodge.
1939 - William H. Martin became dean.
1940's to 1960's - All programs at the College of Agriculture required 150-160 or more credits for graduation.
1945 - Rutgers University, not just the College of Agriculture, achieves gains state university status.
1952 - Soil Science Building -- Lipman Hall, finally dedicated.
1956 - Rutgers gains full status as the State University of New Jersey.
1959 - Blake Hall and addition to Poultry Building, now Thompson Hall dedicated.
- William Martin steps down as dean.
- Ordway Starnes named as acting dean.
- Mason Gross becomes Rutgers’ 16th president.
1961 - Leland G. Merrill, Jr. became third dean.
1962 - Richard H. Merritt named as director of resident instruction and associate dean.
1963 -- Five hundred acres of federal land at the former Camp Kilmer was given to Rutgers. The idea of the federated college system was born -- a number of “multipurpose” liberal arts colleges would comprise Rutgers’ undergraduate teaching system in New Brunswick. The Rutgers College of Arts and Science, Douglass College, and University Colleges already existed. The university proposed a new college, Livingston College, emphasizing people and their urban environments on the Kilmer site in Piscataway, plus two other future colleges.
1964 - The Green Print is first published as the official news magazine of the College of Agriculture, producing four issues per year. In 1973 it became the official Cook College newspaper and begins publishing weekly.
1965 - Name changed from College of Agriculture to College of Agriculture and Environmental Science (C.A.E.S.) C.A.E.S. was the first land-grant institution to use the word “environment (al)” in its title -- later to be followed by many land-grant institutions in the country.
1965-1981 - The Federated College System: There were now five colleges in the federated system, Rutgers, Douglass, Livingston, Cook, and University Colleges.
1967-1970 - Evolution of Cook College.
1968 - Helyar House cooperative living group opens.
1971 - Leland Merrill resigned as dean of C.A.E.S.
Dr. Charles Hess was appointed acting dean.
1971 - Dr. Mason Gross stepped down as president, and
Dr. Edward Bloustein was named the new president. Dean Charles Hess, Dick Merritt and John Gerwig from C.A.E.S. met with the new president before he ever arrived on campus to discuss the new Cook College. Cook College was approved by the Provost’s cabinet and the President’s cabinet on November 8, 1971, and by the Board of Governors on November 19, 1971.
1972 - Dr. Charles Hess is selected as the first dean of Cook College.
Richard Merritt continues as director of resident instruction and associate dean; plus for 1973-74 dean of operations; and 1974 named as dean of instruction.
1972 - Food Science Building dedicated.
1973 - The first class of Cook College students matriculated in the fall.
New departments in human ecology and social science, and the humanities and communications were added to the college.
1973 - Roger Locandro named to head the student life programs at Cook College.
- Cook acquires Woodbury Hall as a freshman dorm.
- Newell Apartments built for upperclassmen.
- Cook Office Building on Dudley Road built.
1974 - First Cook College Commencement -- previously Rutgers held a single university commencement encompassing all colleges and campuses in a R.U. Stadium event.
- Cook / Douglass Gym built.
- Cook/C.A.E.S. Alumni Association established, George Van Der Noot named president.
- Cook Parent’s Association formed.
1975 - Grant Walton becomes Dean.
Richard Merritt continues as Dean of Instruction.
1976 - “Save the Puddle” campaign -- Students initiated a campaign to restore the eroding shore-line of Passion Puddle -- raised $75,000 that was used to drain, re-contour the shoreline, and place rip-rap along the embankments. In the long run, it was not a successful solution.
1977 - Voorhees Hall built -- part of “housing ’76.”
1978 - Cook Campus Center opens.
1979 - Starkey Apartments built.
1980 - N.J. Agricultural Experiment Station celebrates centennial.
1981 - Rutgers move towards centralization.
- Cook College becomes a professional school and continued as a complete educational unit.
- Roger Locandro named dean of students of Cook College.
- Cook acquires Nicholas Hall as a freshman dorm in place of Woodbury.
1983 - George Nieswand named acting dean and director.
1985 - Steve Kleinschuster becomes dean and director.
Ian Maw named dean of instruction.
1986 - Official title of the “Dean” changed from Dean and Director to Executive Dean for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Executive Director of NJAES and Dean of Cook College.”
- Perry Hall dormitory is dedicated.
- Passion Puddle was saved again. It was drained, totally re-contoured, and the shoreline stabilized mainly with aquatic plantings. Geese and duck activities have threatened the success of these plantings.
1986 - Cook College Threatened
Vision 21 / Strategic Plan was developed and adopted. Resulted in $100 million in new buildings, including: the Natural Resources building, CAFT addition, Foran Hall, Marine and Coastal Sciences, and the NJAES Research Greenhouse Complex.
1987 - Mark Schulman named dean of instruction.
1988 - Lee Schneider becomes dean of students.
1988 - Addition to Cook Campus Center, multipurpose room, etc., built.
1989 - Natural Resource building built.
- Nabisco wing – Center for Advance Food Technology (CAFT) -- added to Food Science.
- Daryl Lund named acting executive dean.
1990 - Daryl Lund appointed executive dean.
- Arthur Edwards becomes dean of instruction.
- Recreation Center addition, including a pool and racquet -ball courts, built.
1992 - Louis Iozzi named dean of instruction.
1992 - Ian Maw named dean of academic and student affairs.
1992 – NJAES Greenhouse complex on College Farm Road built.
1993 – Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences building dedicated.
1994 - Log Cabin Alumni Pavilion built by Cook/C.A.E.S. Alumni Association.
1995 - Foran Hall is dedicated and Chang Library is named.
Tim Casey becomes acting executive dean.
1996 - Bruce Carlton appointed executive dean.
2000 - Expansion of Foran Hall completed.
Final renovations of Newell Apartments completed.
2001 - Ian Maw appointed acting executive dean.
2002 - Soji Adelaja becomes executive dean.
Mike Hamm and later, Tim Casey, named as dean of academic and student programs. Karyn Malinowsky named dean of outreach and extension. Keith Cooper named dean of research and graduate programs.
2003 - Keith Cooper named acting executive dean.
2003 - Cook College celebrates its 30th anniversary!!!!!
This timeline is a work in progress. Additions or corrections are requested. Contact:
Roy H. DeBoer
Updated November 10, 2003
For more information, contact Cook History Project.
Last Updated: 3/1/05
© Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
College rutgers cook
.Cook/Doughlass Campus Video Tour
You will also be interested:
- Samsung mobile transfer app
- Iridescent centerpieces
- Plastic paint pail
- Oc drawing challenge
- Angel secret pad
- 2019 specialized allez road bike